Saturday 14 September 2013

The Half Moon Manicure

The half moon manicure was the most popular nail design from the 1920's to 1940's. It vary's slightly throughout the years with the tip of the nail also being left bare or lightly coloured in; this was popular until the late 30's. 


Cosmopolitan Magazine, December 1936

The most popular colours used for nails were always shades of pinks through to reds, and those are still the colours in which most people interpret the manicure with today. However even back then there were a few more diverse colours for the daring ladies, such as gold, green, blue, yellow and black. They were definitely not the most popular or common of choices, but they were still an option! 
 
Ladies Home Journal, June 1945.

I have been to get my nails done a few times, and I ALWAYS get the half moon manicure in some form of red as they always do it so beautifully but when it comes to painting my nails at home I have very little patience. I often do 2 coats of red all over (no half moon manicure) and then get impatient in sitting still and usually smudge them trying to get some chocolate out of its wrapper!

But today I was determined to not only sit still until my nails are 100% dry but to attempt a half moon manicure myself! Up until recently I have worked with horses and therefore growing my nails to even a respectable length without them breaking was impossible! But now it has only been 3 weeks and I am LOVING the length of my new nails (except one of them has broken, not exactly great for a nail post so please ignore!) 


Think this photo makes me look slightly like an octopus


As I mentioned in my previous post, I have only just got my hands on a camera. This post was written on Wednesday but as I was unable to add photos until today it means my nails are a little worse for wear. But after 3 days there is no chipping and although they aren't in the 'just painted' standard I was planning for this post, I am still very impressed!

For the 'half moon' in my half moon manicure I used Rimmel London 60 seconds nail polish in 730 Silver Bullet. It has a mother of pearl look to it and I just think it is so eye catching, compared to if I was to leave it bare. I then used Jessica Custom Nail Colour in Regal Red. This is probably one of my favorite nail colours, it is a truly pillar box red and I find it hardly chips which is really saying something as I bash my nails around like there is no tomorrow.



I absolutely love having a half moon manicure. I think it looks elegant and creates a beautiful vintage look. I think my DIY half moons really need some work but as long as I show everyone from 2 feet away I think there will be no problems! I have also included some photos of 'cool' half moon manicures, for those who like the idea but want to look a little more modern and funky (yes I use the word funky and I love it!!!)





Big love xxx






No comments:

Post a Comment